Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Cherokee Prayer

THE CHEROKEE PRAYER
(to the tune of Amazing Grace)

Introductory instrumental with these verses:

My  spirit will wander these lands, now and forever more
Hold on to what is good, even if it’s a handful of earth
Hold on to what you believe, even if it’s a tree that stands alone by itself
Hold on to what you must do, even if it’s a long way from here
Hold on to your life, even if it’s easier to let go
Hold on to my hand, even if someday I’ll be gone away from you.


(Sing in Cherokee language and to the tune of Amazing Grace):

Oh Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the winds
And whose breath gives life in all the world, hear me
I am small and weak, I need strength and wisdom
Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes ever behold
The red and purple sunset

Make my hands respect the things you have made
And my ears sharp to hear your voice
Make me wise so that I may understand
The things you have taught my people
Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother
But to fight my greatest enemy, myself …
Make me always ready to come to you
With clean hands and straight eyes
So when life fades, as the fading sunset
My spirit may come to you without shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment