Thursday, January 3, 2013

Expecting Turning Points in 2013


 
I’m not absolutely elated writing about what I expect this year because it sounds like making New Year’s Resolutions and I’m not into this kind of exercise.  However, there’s one certain thing that will happen at the end of May 2013.  By then, I shall have reached 70 and my full-time appointment as Professor of development communication at the UPOU would no longer be extended as has been done in the last five years because Civil Service rules in this country prohibit further extension of such appointment.  I have been partially retired the last five years because of the extension of my appointment as professor.  Effective 31 May 2013, however, I shall be (what I call) absolutely retired.


If I’m lucky, and I’ll know this toward the end of January 2013 when the BOR meets, I might be awarded this honorific title of Professor Emeritus.  Some friends have been telling me that they know my name is included in the list (how they knew about it escapes me) that shall be deliberated upon by the BOR this month, but that’s just about it as far as I am concerned. 



To be awarded the honorific title of Professor Emeritus at the University of the Philippines is a great honor for a retired professor.  The title is for lifetime, although it doesn’t carry with it any remuneration, just the honor.  Not all Full Professors who have retired are given such title.  Theoretically, this honorific title should really be automatic for those who have reached the rank of Professor 12 upon retirement from UP, but the rules have made becoming Professor Emeritus absolutely competitive, not without any bad feelings among those not given the title, I must add.

What are the advantages of being granted the title Professor Emeritus at UP?  Among other things, the new rules provide that only those who have reached the rank of Professor 12 upon retirement are entitled to recommendation for the title of Professor Emeritus.  Too, members of this “elite” group are entitled to an office space and some logistical support if they’re undertaking teaching or research activities for the university.  I’m not sure about the financial package, if, in fact, there is any.  As far as I know, there’s no regular remuneration.  Hence, I shall not comment on that one.  I think that has become a thorny issue given that the financial resources of the university are not really that much.

Retired professors, indeed, still have the brainpower and the physical strength to continue doing what they have always done well … teach, particularly at the graduate level, although I’d like to argue that these retired professors should probably be given the opportunity to teach basic undergraduate courses.  They know the content, and they have the wisdom to make such content much more meaningful to younger learners.


Now, as most retirees would ask, what?  I have a lot of things in mind.

First, I intend to return to science journalism, which was my favorite of years back.  It will be fun writing feature articles about science and scientific topics for magazines and the popular media.  Linking up again with Zac Sarian would be great.  Too, it would be nice to join my old friend, Louie Tabing, on radio now and then perhaps as part-time field reporter.

Second, I’m keen on going the route of the lecture circuit in universities talking about topics and issues many undergraduate and graduate students are interested in, such as writing theses, development communication, media research, and the like.  Naturally, I’ll just wait for invitations.

Third, I shall, of course, continue with my teaching activities at UPOU if they ask me to teach the courses I have been teaching in the meantime that they have not determined who will teach those ones now.  At UPOU this means I shall be considered as part-time professorial lecturer.  The title Professor Emeritus doesn’t automatically mean that I shall continue to teach at UPOU.  In fact, the title means I am retired and not entitled to teach unless specifically appointed to do so.

Fourth, I shall now be glad to accept editing work.  Editing dissertations and theses have always interested me but I haven’t had enough time to go into this in the past.  I did this when I was in graduate school at Indiana University.  Of course, editing dissertations and theses is a challenging task, but one that I have always enjoyed doing.

Fifth, I would like to do policy-oriented research.  These are fun research that I’d like to do.  One, I’d like to do a study on why there’s a continuing decline in the enrollments in agriculture programs in the country.  Part of this should be an analysis of public perception about higher education in agriculture among Filipinos.  Two, I’d like to do another fun study, correlating historical data about graduation trends in forestry programs  and the corresponding decrease in forest cover of these islands over the years.  My hypothesis is that there is an inverse relationship between the number of graduates in forestry programs and the forest cover of these islands.   That is to say, the larger the number of forestry graduates, the faster the decrease in forest cover of the islands.  We could probably hypothesize similarly in the field of agriculture.  How about in other fields?  One wonders.

Sixth, if all these do not come about as quick as I’m hoping, I can always take a brief rest toward the middle of the year before moving on again.  Yes, life can begin at 70, I dare say.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment