Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Two Issues in Devcom: A Brief Commentary


Let’s Clarify The Points

During the CDCEPP Conference at ISU-Cabagan, Isabela last Friday, November 9th, two major issues that were raised dealt with what appeared to be the orientation of many current development  communication researchers and academics in the Philippines.  The questions raised were: “what scientific paradigm are we supposed to follow, positivism or critical theory?”  and “in devcom are we supposed to deal only with non-formal education and not include formal education in our work?”  Frankly, I was caught by surprise by these questions because these have never been issues for me. 

I didn’t have time to think through the questions well during the open forum after my keynote address.  Let me try to deal with these issues here.  I’d like to expound on my personal position on these issues a little bit more lest I be taken out of context.  I’m not going to begin lecturing on the philosophical foundations of communication research or the bases for establishing academic disciplines, though. 

To begin with, let me emphasize that I’m not infallible in this discussion.  And this discussion is based basically on my own synthesis and interpretation of the available literature on devcom, and it is entirely possible that I differ substantially with many (both experts and students of devcom) regarding the points that I shall highlight.  Consequently, too, I shall not be citing my sources as I’m talking from the point of view of personal synthesis and interpretation of the literature as I see it.  Therefore, take my arguments based on their premises.


The Issue of Research Orientation

As far as the area of research is concerned, let me just point out that in doing development communication research all these years, I have seen colleagues doing studies of various orientations and intentions.   To interconnect with the terminologies that are quite current among younger researchers and academics, let’s look at some dichotomies of the research methodologies employed.

 There are those who talk about the research spectrum from positivism to post modernism, or from empiricism to critical analysis, or from scientistic inquiry to naturalistic inquiry, or from quantitative to qualitative methods.  Me, I started from positivism or empiricism, or quantitative analysis as my background is in agriculture.  Migrating to the social sciences, however, necessitated that I embrace other methodological approaches when this became necessary.  I have learned, however, that what is important is the rigor, not the label.  As a researcher, I may be classified as a positivist or empiricist rather than post modernist but that doesn’t mean I can’t interpret accurately qualitative data and information.  I must point out, however, that many times I need as much quantitative information as I can lay my hands on in order to arrive at a good qualitative interpretation of a phenomenon.

Let me point out that from my personal viewpoint one doesn’t really shift permanently from one methodology to another.  In this respect, you don’t burn your bridges after crossing them because you’ll need them quite frequently again and again as you navigate through the required analytical framework you have decided to employ in dealing with your data.  Too, you must look at or mentally  analyze your data first before determining what analytical technique would be most appropriate.  It’s not the case where you first determine you’d do quantitative or qualitative analysis prior to gathering your data and limit yourself to such methodological approach in spite of your data.  That could really be potentially disastrous.  You could make inappropriate conclusions  based on erroneous  analysis and interpretation of your data.

There are data that make much more sense when quantified, but numerous data or pieces of information provide more significant meaning when analyzed qualitatively. 

For example, I’ve always made this argument:  suppose you’re deciding to purchase a kilo of seedless atis and you didn’t know how sweet this particular variety on sale is.  Would you rather subject the fruit to fructose content analysis?  Of course, you can do that, but most would simply take a sample fruit and taste it.

Anyway, let’s say your test indicated that one fruit showed this value, 0.5472 mg fructose and another indicated 0.5474 mg fructose.  Naturally, you’d conclude that the fruit that has 0.5474 mg fructose would be sweeter.  And the individual who simply tasted the fruit selected a piece of fruit, which indicated upon testing that it had only 0.3567 mg fructose.  Question is, which is really sweeter?  The values (figures) in this particular situation don’t mean much.  What matters is how the fruits tasted according to the taste buds of the individual who is going to make the purchase.

What’s the point?   We need to  be certain that our data dictate the mode of analysis we should employ.  It is not as if we set out to do quantitative research and stick by that in spite of the presence of significant data (that could actually influence your conclusions) that may not be explainable through quantified techniques.   You can’t say in final terms that in development communication we are post modernists, not positivists, or the other way around.   In trying to understand the development issues that we deal with, we employ multiple methodologies in order to arrive at the best interpretation of issues so we can arrive at the most appropriate approaches to resolve the issues.  That could either be positivist orientation or post modern orientation.  We move back and forth.  I guess what I’m also trying to say is that we can’t do well in qualitative research unless we as well have mastered the techniques of quantitative analysis.

Perhaps a mistake that many commit is that they pigeon-hole themselves into one single methodological orientation.  To say the least, this could easily lead to serious miscalculations in the application of communication principles and theories to the resolution of development issues.


The Function of Devcom in Education

During the CDCEPP Conference, another issue raised was, “should we in devcom now focus on formal education or remain in nonformal education?”  I must admit that the point is not clear to me.  Still, let me endeavor to clarify my own personal position on what I believe is the issue at hand.

In the past, it wasn’t difficult for us to say that when it comes to education we in the field of development communication were operating within the parameters of nonformal education.  Formal education is the area of educationists.  I think that a possible source of confusion would be the sources of influences in the development of the idea of devcom in its early beginnings.  In my discussion of the devcom-corporate communication-masscom contagion, I pointed out that devcom was basically influenced by agricultural journalism, educational communication technology, and advertising. 

To be sure, devcom principles and techniques are, indeed, applicable in both formal and nonformal education processes.  After all, like I have said in the conference, communication is, all other things being equal, the catalyst of all human activities.   How can devcom apply in formal education?  We can employ devcom principles and techniques in making content better understood by the learner.  And that’s it.  We can’t change content.   We can only facilitate learning by facilitating the communication process that goes on in formal education (as in classroom instruction).  In formal education, communication becomes a tool of the learner, not content to be learned, except in the case of communication being curriculum content.

Is the confusion found in the area of educational communication?  By definition, educational communication refers to the application of communication in facilitating the educational process.  This is very clear in the literature of educational communication and technology.   If, on the other hand, our point of discussion is the function of development communication in education, then clearly we deal with the application of development communication as a tool to facilitate the educational process.  In fact, over all, that’s what we do, to facilitate. 

That word is loaded, indeed.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment