Thursday, September 20, 2012

When Good Karma Strikes




19 September, Jegs and I took our lunch at this eatery in Lecheria, Calamba City, known as Lutong Pilipino ni Aling Ely.   They serve a variety of food, like  lechon, various sea foods like ginataang tilapia, sinigang na karpa, laing, bbq, and many more.  We enjoyed eating there.  From Aling Ely’s, we proceeded to SM Calamba City, and then home.

At SM Calamba City, Jegs first got to the car at the SM parking lot to find the door on the driver’s side open.  Immediately, she said, she checked if her laptop was still in the car’s back seat, and it was.  How it got opened and thieves didn’t ransack it was really beyond us.  I also left my laptop in the car it was there when Jegs got to it.  Until now, we couldn’t explain why the car was open and why our valuables had not been stolen before we got back.

Then at home, in the evening, when I was preparing to go to bed I was shocked to find that my “card holder” which contains my two credit cards and three ATM cards, as well as other cards and important pieces of paper, was missing from my pant’s back pockets.  I told myself that it probably fell off in the car but didn’t bother to check as I was already sleepy.

The following morning, while preparing to go to the office, I inspected the car and didn’t find my card holder.  I told myself that it probably fell off from my pockets on my chair in the office, so I wasn’t bothered at all.  We had decided to take our breakfast at the IRRI canteen and while on our way to it  Jegs was practically lecturing me on how to be careful with cards like those in my card holder.  Of course, she had a very good point and I knew all of what she was telling me, and she meant well.

After breakfast, I dropped Jegs off at the IRRI Library then proceeded to the UPOU where I hold office.  When I got to my office, I was stunned to find that my cardholder wasn’t on my chair.  When I tried to reconstruct where I was the day before, it dawned on me that my card holder must have fallen off from my pockets when we took our lunch at Aling Ely’s.  I thought that was really the end of those cards.

Then I began doing what Jegs was telling me to do.  First, I informed our UPOU’s Cash Division that I lost my ATM card to which account the university deposits my salary.  I was relieved when I was told that they would do the necessary legwork with the bank.  I went back to my office and retrieved my credit card files.  Then I called the hotline of CitiBank.  Rather quickly, the guy I was talking to on the phone right away checked if there were some transactions since yesterday afternoon and I was relieved to find that there was none, so he proceeded to block off my account and report the loss of my card.  He informed me that I would get a replacement card in three days.

Then I called the hotline of BPI, but I couldn’t get through because I was calling from my office, through a PABX service, not a PLDY direct line. I decided to personally go to the bank to report my lost credit card and I was told that I really had to do the reporting through the hotline.  When I was told that, I went back to UPOU and used the direct line in the Office of the Chancellor to contact BPI.  I was able to transact my business and I’d be getting a replacement card in three day’s time.

I had decided to go personally to the Land Bank to report the loss of my two other ATM cards issued by the Land Bank, but before I could leave for the bank my cellphone rang.  When I answered, a female voice on the other end said, “may I speak with Dr. Librero?”  Immediately, it occurred to me that this was probably regarding my cardholder that most likely fell off from my pockets when we had lunch at Aling Ely’s the previous day.  I.answered, “yes, this is Dr. Librero speaking.”    Then the voice said, “this is from Aling Ely’s.  You left your cards here yesterday.”  I said, “yes, my cardholder fell from my pocket yesterday when we took our lunch there.  I’m coming over to pick it up.”

I felt so relieved that my cards didn’t fall into unscrupulous hands.  Through this entry in this blog, I wish to thank the staff of Aling Ely’s for taking care of my cardholder, informing me about it, and returning it to me.  Indeed, we still have good people around.  Well, you can find some of them at Lutong Pilipino ni Aling Ely.  You find this place along the national highway in Lecheria, Calamba City.  Do visit the place, you’ll like the food there.  And you can probably feel safe there, too.

Now that we’re into the “ber” months which is a signal that we’re quickly heading to the Christmas Season, more people are becoming active in various means of obtaining more money through less scrupulous means.  Let’s all be much more careful.

###



No comments:

Post a Comment