Thursday, February 24, 2011

Everybody's Talking Abnout EDSA I




I admire those people talking about EDSA I and their respective roles, or at least what they recall they did in those fateful three days 25 years ago.  Me, I’m not writing about what I did because I certainly don’t recall everything now.  Suffice it to say that I was asked about 15 years back to write about what little things I may have done to contribute to the revolution.  What I wrote may be found in the book, Introduction to Philippine Communication or something to that effect.  The book was authored by Dr. Crispin Maslog and published years back by the Asia Foundation.  Hence, I find no need to write another narrative.  Those who’re talking about their respective roles have good memories.  I do admire them.  Now that I’m senior, I find that sometimes my memory fails me.

Still, I do wish to ask some questions.  A general question is:  Have we not actually wasted the opportunities that were opened to us Filipinos by EDSA I?  Many would say “yes” and many would say “no.”  So let me ask more specific questions.  What improvements in governance were introduced after EDSA I, and were these sustained?  What have been the results of those improvements?  Why do we still have the same problems, 25 years after the event that changed our national life?  Why has corruption in government practically increased and become worse?  Why is it that the values among younger Filipinos today are worse than those prior to EDSA I?  These, and many, many more, are simple questions that can be easily answered, but who will answer them truthfully?  Not even the bishops of the CBCP, ever pontificating on how we should control our rapid population growth, can give us any appropriate answers.  Worse, our leaders certainly are the least qualified to give us the answers.

***

February 23 is the 16th anniversary of the UP Open University.  Since the week beginning on 21 February is EDSA I week (25 years), Chancellor Gigi Alfonso and her UPOU Cabinet decided to move the UPOU Anniversary celebration to the week beginning on Monday, February 28th until March 4th.  Good thinking, I’d say.   No less than the new UP President, Alfredo E. Pascual, will be the Guest of Honor.  This year’s theme is  “Learners in the digital age: knowledge creation using web technologies.”

The UPOU has come a long way.  It’s actual years of physical existence may still be short, but it has come a long way in terms of having blazed the trail and introduced innovations in the delivery of instruction outside of the four walls of the classrooms.

There are number of things you could enjoy at the UPOU Headquarters in Los BaƱos.  On Monday, the following will be open for the public: exhibit, student forum and poster presentations, briefing of the incoming UP administration on the operations of UPOU, and the inauguration of the Learner’s Hall. 

Other activities during the week include: forum on the Magna Carta for Women, launching of the digital Literacy for Women Campaign, exhibits on forest products in connection with the International Year of the Forests, among others.

This 16th Anniversary is another opportunity for the UPOU to demonstrate its expertise being the only open university in the Philippines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment